The internet is an important part of most people's lives, whether it may be surfing for fun, internet banking, a useful source of information, providing access to work files and data, connecting to a school server or any other use.
When you are connected to the internet it is important that you and your family understand how to use it safely.
You must be aware that there are many unscrupulous people about and that the internet provides an easy vehicle with which to access personal, private and confidential data. Also, not all websites are genuine and legitimate - some may cause damage to your PCs whereas others have extremely unsuitable content, especially for children. Your computer can get hijacked if you do not have adequate security and the email system can be used to spread viruses or to dupe you into providing personal data.
The following tips will help you to think more about internet safety:
- always have well configured anti-virus, firewall and anti-spy ware installed
- never give out personal details
- don't leave your webcam connected
- think about storing passwords securely - not on your PC
- use the spam setting in your post
- if you use messaging software, never accept files from unknown sources
- never respond to email with unbelievable offers, or offers that sound too good to be true
- make sure that children are aware of safety issues
- use content filtering/parental control software for children
For tailor-made advice about internet safety, contact us direct.